Dental crowns are fixed to the outer surface of the tooth to restore shape, strength, function and appearance. They encase a tooth that has been badly damaged or decayed and are cemented on to the surface of the teeth.
Since dental crowns cover the entire visible aspect of a tooth, a dental crown in effect becomes the tooth’s new outer surface. Crowns can be made out of porcelain, zirconia (a very hard ceramic), metal (a gold or other metal alloy), or a combination of both.
Our dentist may recommend a dental crown in the following circumstances:
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Attach a bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment